The Broom Closet
Are you living more or less in the broom closet since last year? Does the current political climate make you more or less open about your beliefs with strangers or casual acquaintances than you used to be? Are you worried or have you ever seriously considered that a modern day ‘witch hunt’ might target Pagans in the next few months/years? Have you taken extra precautions to protect your private information or Pagan identity on the internet? At work? In your neighborhood? Are you more or less inclined to speak up and/or identify yourself as a Pagan when discussing or writing about political, religious or social issues these days?
I was just thinking about this the other day. Sometimes I feel closeted but I don't think that I am. I'm not 100% "out" about being a witch b/c I realize it can make people uncomfortable. I also know that some people would mentally close themselves off after hearing the words "witch" or "wiccan." I don't hide my faith but I don't shout it from the rooftops either.
Not long ago, my cousin and I were discussing religion b/c she somehow got a reputation in her family for being a fundamentalist (nothing could be further from the truth). She said, "Well what are you?" I considered for a moment but I know the area where she lives and her upbringing and I just said, "None of the above." While it's true, it's not what I would have liked to say. But I didn't feel like getting into a big discussion about witchcraft over the phone late on a weeknight.
The most "out" thing I do IRL is probably wearing my pentacle charm. When I first got it, I wore it every day. I have another necklace I wear every day and the two often became tangled. B/c of the weight and length of the pentacle necklace, I decided to continue wearing the other as everyday jewelry. I still wear the pentacle necklace when I wear a top that allows it to be seen, when I travel and when I feel I could use a little boost of faith or energy. No one has ever commented on it but people have noticed it. I've not had a "bad" reaction from people but a (former) friend turned quite cold after I began wearing it (long story).
Online, I feel I can be more open. Part of my personal website is devoted to spellwork. I feel like my website reflects my general attitude about my faith: it's there and if you're curious, check it out. If not, skip it. I don't force it at anyone but I don't hide it either.
B/c of my husband's work, I feel like I have to be a little more "in cognito." As a small town physician, rumors of a witchy wife could hurt his practice. When patients ask if I have a website of my writing, he says he can't remember the URL. Well, to be fair, he also doesn't want them to know I write erotica but that's another story. He's not embarrassed by my faith but, like me, he knows that others would have a knee-jerk reaction to "witch."
As to the specifics of the question:
Are you living more or less in the broom closet since last year? My faith has been strengthened over the course of the last year. I don't know that I'm any more or less "out" but I've found the ceremony of ritual secondary to practicing everyday aspects of the faith.
Does the current political climate make you more or less open about your beliefs with strangers or casual acquaintances than you used to be? I don't think people are really much different than they were in, say, the 90s. I think that the media are giving more airtime to Christian conservatives than they did in the past. They were always there; they just weren't in vogue. My decision is based more on the community in which I live, which is very conservative and very fundmentalist Christian.
Are you worried or have you ever seriously considered that a modern day ‘witch hunt’ might target Pagans in the next few months/years? I've thought about it but I'd rather be a witch these days than a Moslem. Both faiths are misunderstood but I think Paganism, Wicca, etc. are seen more as novelties or lifestyles than faiths. I don't think most people take paganism or witchcraft seriously enough to target us in "witch hunts."
Have you taken extra precautions to protect your private information or Pagan identity on the internet? At work? In your neighborhood? I have always used an online identity just for my own comfort. Everyone I work with knows about my witchiness (and some are witchy themselves); I work at home via the Internet. When I interact w/ my neighbors, it's not really a subject of conversation. I know their faith b/c they are very involved in their church and b/c we've been in their home. We don't really discuss it. We have been to their house for holiday meals and I have joined hands in their prayer before the meal. I thought of my own beliefs and corresponding holidays. It's all about sharing the time and professing thanks and faith. There was no reason to make a scene in their home and say, "Sorry, this ain't my bag."
Are you more or less inclined to speak up and/or identify yourself as a Pagan when discussing or writing about political, religious or social issues these days? If it's relevant to the subject, I will add my faith. Otherwise, I like to keep my politics and religion separate.
I guess what it all boils down to is that I'm not "closeted" but I believe that religion is a personal, private matter. I like to keep my faith to myself. I like others to keep their faiths to themselves. I like having an outlet like this to hash out aspects of my spiritual self. It's why I chose to create a page just for these collabs instead of putting them in my regular weblog.
PS: I once write a story called "Out of the Broom Closet" which was published in October of 2001, I think it was. You can read it via my writing page.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home