:: a witchy weblog ::

7.04.2006

Earth mother

Wow. I haven't updated here in a while. Mostly b/c I just haven't had the time to devote to The Craft. I haven't even done my son's Wiccaning yet. If you read my regular blog you know that we're moving soon. I hope to do it there, maybe outdoors.

The reason I thought of writing something tonight was that I wanted to say something about elements.

In the process of moving, we're now packing up vases and whatnot and I realized that I have a damn lot of rocks in my home. Some I combine with water. Just water and rocks in a clear glass vase. Today I had to dump some rocks on my makeshift potting bench to dry them for packing. I was amazed by the beauty of these little stones, so much so that I took some photos.

They seemed so organic, especially in this photo, with the water:

There's nothing special about these stones. I bought this batch from Ikea for next to nothing. But as I spread them out with my fingers, I felt so connected to them, so focused and grounded. I wear stone jewelry when I feel flighty but otherwise I never gave much mind to earth elements in ritual beyond my salt or sand.

I always wanted to connect with the fire element but in truth I feel least connected to it. The air element energizes me. Going outside in a windstorm bring me a feeling of power, almost like I could control the air if I wanted to but since I like what it's doing, why would I? I've always been very drawn to water and I've had great luck with bath spells but I don't get the opportunity to work with water the way I'd like.

What I noticed as I ran my fingers through the energy of those stones today was that I feel instantly connected to earth elements. I'm not great with houseplants but I'm a decent gardener. I can plant something and ignore it and it turns out beautifully (like my $7 marked-down too-late-in-the-season lilac that's two years older and healthy and strong). I feel gravity on me not as something dragging me down but as something keeping me connected to the earth. I feel horrid when I throw away something that could conceivably to reused in some way (using paper plates now is killing me).

Could it be that I am an Earth Mother after all? All these years of looking to fire for centering when a touch of earth brings it in a heartbeat? I think so. It's something I plan to explore as I set up at my new place. I'll also be sharing some of the amazing natural wonders at our new place and, hopefully, witchblogging much more often.

1 Comments:

Blogger Patty said...

I find myself associating with the elements at different times in my life. Perhaps Earth has something to teach you now and that is why you are feeling close. Just a thought.

11:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home