Magic for Personal Gain
Do you think magic/spells should be used for personal gain? What constitutes personal gain (e.g. love spells, money spells, healing spells, self-improvement spells...) ?
I think all magic has some element of personal gain. If you cast a spell for a friend, you get satisfaction. I don't there's anything wrong with personal gain. I think our society teaches women to sacrifice for others and to think of our own needs secondarily, if at all. It could be giving up our jobs to stay home with children or taking the piece of chicken that fell on the counter so someone else gets the "nicer" piece.
I do think that always using magic for personal gain and for no other reason would create an imbalance, karmic or otherwise. Same goes for only casting spells/circles when you want or need something. One of the other PS topics this month was about Thanksgiving and I think that casting a circle or spell simply to give thanks is a great idea.
I find that the spells I cast for myself work better than those I cast for others or for general purposes. It could be because my relation to the need is intensified. But divination for others works better than divination for myself.
I guess I don't have a lot to say on the subject. I keep thinking of the "Friends" episode where Joey challenges Phoebe about truly selfless acts. It takes the whole episode for Phoebe to do something from which she receives no benefit, pleasure or other personal gain. So I can't really think of any spells or use of magic that wouldn't benefit me in some way. If nothing else, it's the work that draws me closer to the craft.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home