:: a witchy weblog ::

8.27.2005

Networking: blasé as hell

In reading over the brief previous post, I realized that I'm not a very enthusiastic Pagan. At least not when it comes to being part of my local Pagan community.

I do try. I've patronized local witchy businesses. I've talked with members of the local coven. I've watched the Pagan Pride Day group plan this festival as I've been a relatively silent member of the group. Thing is, I really don't seem to fit in with the pagans. Not on paper and not in my previous experience.

I've blogged before about the exclusivity of the local coven. In reading more, I've found out that the coven formed out of a group of friends who belong(ed) to SCA. Nothing against the SCA (I think it would be quite fun) but when you form a group from a group, it tends toward cliquishness and that's what I've experienced. I tried several times to join the coven's mailing list. Only when I returned from Colorado and after a specific request was I asked to join their mailing group. Well thanks. Like I'm going to want to attend a circle after I've had to beg to find out when they are.

So then I joined Meet-Up groups. They all met in bars on Wednesday nights. I said to the group that I would have to meet someplace child-friendly and during the day. Seems there were a lot of scheduling conflicts as no one attended the meet-ups and the groups died (as did all my meet-up groups but eh).

So I think, "Is it me? Am I just that anti-social?" But I look at the schedule for the PPD and there's nothing that interests me. Making corn dollies? Maybe, if I felt crafty instead of witchy that day. Intro to Wicca? Been there, done that. What about a workshop for people who already know what they're doing? Not that I'd be able to attend that; I'm not leaving my baby with strangers so I can learn about advanced ritual construction.

So I just go and browse the merchants and say "Hey! I'm a Pagan too!" I suppose. Maybe buy a vial of incense or something. Is it worth parking and walking just for that? If the witchy store from Ripley has a booth, and I'm certain they will, it could be worth going. Also it would be nice to expose Z to some witchiness. I haven't cast a circle since... Yule? I know I did at Samhain. I moved everything out of the basement and don't know where I could set up a circle now except outside. I would how the homeowner's association would feel about that (remember I work skyclad after the Yule Candle Incident of 2001).

So I suppose what I'm getting at is this: part of the appeal of being a witch was the ability to be the audience of one at my religious service. I generally keep my religion to myself and don't actively seek other witches to network with. Sure it would be nice to have a friend with the same interest but it's difficult. I could go very snarky and snotty here but I won't. It would come off judgmental and maybe I am judgmental of other pagans. What I would really like from this PPD is to meet someone else who's a witch but not a fundamentalist.

5 Comments:

Blogger Theryn said...

I'm going to hazard a guess that perhaps this isn't a social/anti-social issue, but has more to do w/ the "grown-up"ness of the community. As in, it's still somewhat of a novelty to them. It hasn't become generational yet. You'd probably have a different experience in a community with a larger, more well-established pagan population.

1:35 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

I think you're right, T. I hadn't thought of it that way but that is the problem. It's the same problem that teen witches face I'm sure -- people take them for dabblers when they're serious. While there are teens to dip their toes or try Wicca as a way to be different or cool, I'm sure there are many who are serious practioners who are as irked as I am.

11:45 PM

 
Blogger S. Nichole said...

There seems to be much conversation as of late about the pros and cons of Pagan community. I am refering to the recent posts at The Juggler as well as a few other blogs.

I think part of the problem is that there really is no community, unless you taken into account the pagan shops and festivals that are around today. Pagans tend to fight the establishment of an organization and this hurts any feeling of community. Nothing to hold on to, so to speak. At these shops and festivals, people are getting the illusion of community because it is only a temporary feeling. And what they long for is the sense of community.

It's a difficult situation to be in. No community without organization but no one wants the organization. So instead, the Pagan religions are falling into the same patterns that are seen in Christianity, even without the organization. People preaching they have the right path, pointing fingers and then people are pulling away from the belief system, because once again, something is wrong but they just can't put their finger on it.

I need to point out that this is all just my opinion that comes from my experiences, within both Christianity and Paganism.

12:33 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

I agree w/ you as well Andy. I blogged before about how fundamentalism is rampant in paganism as well as in more mainstream religions, like Christianity. I hadn't considered the idea of being about community as well.

I would go on to say that I think many Pagans turn to Paganism in part b/c they feel unaccepted in some aspect of life. When they are rejected yet again by what they perceive as a community, whether it exists or not, it is doubly painful.

12:44 PM

 
Blogger Stephanie said...

I will take you up on that. I have a question I will post at the group or at the UNCLE site as well.

10:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home